The last installment of ‘Top Tips’ from Team GB and the English Institute of Sport coaches is from James Collins and covers sports nutrition.
James Collins is acknowledged as a leading sport and exercise nutritionist and here are his top tips:
- To build muscle: eat regular portions of quality protein as part of an increased kcal diet.
- Best for recovery: consume foods which are high in protein to help support muscle repair and choose carbohydrates in an amount that’s specific to the training undertaken to replenish glycogen stores.
- Pre-workout best foods: fuel your sessions strategically with quality carbohydrates.
- For endurance events: rapidly absorbed carbohydrates such as isotonic drinks or gels may be beneficial for quick energy.
- Is it possible to tell if you are deficient in certain areas of vitamins and/or minerals: if you are concerned about any nutrient deficiency speak to a registered nutritionist, dietician or doctor.
Over the next few months, we will have more information that covers everything from Sports nutrition, meal plans and how to get your family involved in sport - all of which you will be able to find here.