If anyone’s used to enjoying the sunshine, it’s Californians. This recipe comes straight from the Golden Coast, mixing hot and cold for a salad that’s both refreshing and deeply satisfying.
You can try out a range of dressings to see which one really hits the spot.
Check out the original recipe at My Recipes.
Image courtesy of My Recipes
- Olive oil
- 1 large red onion cut into 1/2-in.-thick slices
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 medium heirloom tomatoes, sliced
- 1 (5-oz.) container baby arugula
- 8 ounces cooked salt-and-pepper-seasoned flank steak
- 1 ripe peeled avocado, sliced
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced basil
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
1. Heat a grill pan over a high heat. Rub salt and pepper in the steak and use a pastry brush to glaze it with olive oil.
2. When the pan is hot, place the steak in the middle of the pan. Cook to your liking: 1-2 mins on each side for rare, 3 minutes for medium, 4 mins for well done. Remove steak from the pan and wrap in tin foil to rest.
3. Turn the heat under the pan to medium, adding a splash of olive oil for frying. Add the onion slices to pan and fry for 10 minutes, turning occasionally. Place the cooked onions in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let stand for 10 minutes.
4. Combine oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add onion slices and any accumulated juices to oil mixture.
5. Add tomatoes to the bowl and toss gently to coat. Let stand 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the arugula.
6. Divide the tomato mixture evenly among 4 plates. Cut the steak into strips to top the salad along with some avocado. Sprinkle with basil and almonds and serve.
Still got an appetite for more? Check out some other quick and healthy recipes here.