For those who love an “everything chucked in the pan” sort of dish, this sizzling skillet dish is a dream come true. It’s a wonderfully balanced meal: protein, iron, complex carbohydrates and fats to help feel strong and energised.
Oh, and did we mention that it’s delicious?
Image courtesy of Host the Toast
- 2 (4 oz) chicken breasts, pounded to 1/2 – 3/4″ thick
- 1 cup brown rice, cooked according to package directions
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped, to garnish
For the marinade:
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper
1. In a freezer bag, combine the marinade ingredients and add in the chicken breasts. Refrigerate overnight or for at least 2 hours.
2. Heat a cast-iron skillet over medium to high heat. Add in the chicken breasts, keeping excess marinade in the bag — you’ll need this later. Cook until cooked through, about 6 minutes per side. Remove chicken from pan, put on a plate and wrap in tin foil to keep warm.
3. Whisk together the flour and about 1/4 cup of the milk in a separate saucepan. Slowly whisk in the remaining milk and the salt. Bring to a gentle boil, stirring often.
4. Reduce to a simmer and allow mixture to thicken, stirring constantly for about 3 minutes.
5. Stir in the cheese, a bit at a time, until melted and completely combined. Keep over low heat, stirring regularly, until ready to use.
6. Add 2 tablespoons of the reserved marinade to the skillet and discard the remaining marinade. Reduce down to a medium heat. Add in the broccoli and saute until bright green and beginning to brown lightly in spots, stirring and turning often for about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
7. Remove the broccoli and place on the plate with the chicken. Increase the heat on to high and let the pan sit for a minute or so to get steaming hot.
You can check out the original recipe at Host the Toast.
Hungry for more? Check out the rest of our healthy recipes here.