These vegetarian stuffed mushrooms, flavoured with fresh onions and garlic too, are a wonderful starter, lunch or side dish.
Ingredients (serves 4):
- 120g long-grain brown rice, rinsed in several changes of water
- 120g brown lentils
- 400ml low-sodium vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 65g raw cashews
- 4 Portobello mushrooms, peeled
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Bring 400ml of water to the boil in a saucepan. Stir in the rice, return to the boil, and then cover with a lid and cook over a low heat until the rice is tender and fluffy (approx. 12-15 minutes).
- In the meantime, combine the lentils and stock in a saucepan. Bring to the boil, cook for 3-4 minutes, and then return to a gentle simmer until the lentils are tender to the bite, about 10-15 minutes. Set aside once ready.
- Remove the rice from the heat when ready and set aside to cool for 10 minutes, still covered.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160° fan or gas mark 4).
- Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a saucepan set over a medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and a pinch of salt, sweating until softened, about 5 minutes. Scrape into a mixing bowl.
- Fluff the rice with a fork before adding to the onion and garlic. Stir in the lentils, cashews, and some salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove the caps from the mushrooms and finely chop. Stir into the rice and lentils before spooning the filling back into the mushrooms.
- Arrange in a baking dish and drizzle with the remaining olive oil. Bake for 20-25 minutes until the mushrooms are tender to the tip of a knife.
- Remove from the oven and leave to stand briefly before serving with a sprinkling of sliced spring onions.
Find more delicious recipes, search our recipes on inside track.