Continuing on from Paul Martin’s tips on Sports Physiotherapy and Duncan French’s advice on Strength and Conditioning, we spoke to Sarah Cecil – technical lead Sport Psychologist at the English Institute of Sport – to get her top training tips:
- Stay focused when motivation is low by treating motivation as a verb not a noun – it is a doing action.
- Remember to praise yourself as you go beyond your perceived limit, this will help your brain know what your new capability is.
- Focus on the process to train like a winner.
- Visualisation - use music which evokes the state of mind you want to be in.
- Break the skill down into chunks you can imagine doing to help conquer fears that hold you back (more for extreme sports).
Don’t forget you can still sign up here, to meet the coaches at our gyms too – where they will be ready to answer your questions and sharing more advice and tips on the day.