While many of us hold peanut butter close to our hearts, the variety of other nut butters like almond or cashew displayed on the shelves have really exploded in popularity in the last few years.
Leading the way is Pip & Nut, an all-natural range created by Pip Murray, whose combined love for running and nut butter, and the struggle to find peanut butter that wasn’t filled with palm oils and sugar, encouraged her to create a brand that removed all the nasty things from the products, as well as experimenting with more exciting flavours.
Why nut butter?
Nut butter is one of those amazing products that’s totally delicious but also has a ton of great nutritional benefits to boot. They make a pretty tasty snack for pre- and post-workout, and here’s why:
• Nuts are packed with protein, magnesium, Vitamin E, fibre and other essential nutrients.
• No refined sugars – unlike a lot of snack products, Pip & Nut’s nut butters are refined sugar free. This means you won’t get the sugar highs and lows that other snacks might give you.
• Protein, protein, protein. We all know how key it is for muscle repair and growth, and nut butter is one of its most natural sources – around 25% protein content per 100g.
• It makes for a healthy, satisfying treat – whether enjoyed on its own or slathered onto sourdough toast or banana. 100% pleasure, 0% guilt.
On-the-go nut butter:
Pip & Nut have introduced a Squeeze Pack – nifty little 30g sachets that give you the energy kick you need to get you through the day.
• Enjoy on its own straight out the pack before a workout for a slow release energy kick, or just after – to refuel and keep the pre-lunch/dinner hunger at bay.
• Keep in your lunch box
• Have in your desk drawer to combine with an apple/banana or oatcakes to make for a healthy afternoon snack that will get you going without pumping your blood sugar through the roof.
• And for those of you who count your macros – they’re already, perfectly measured out, making it easier to track.
How to enjoy nut butter:
The opportunities are endless, but here are some great options:
• Spread on toast – the classic. Try sourdough topped with Cashew Honey Cinnamon Butter, bananas, mixed berries, a superseed mix and a drizzle of honey.
• Slather on bananas or oatcakes.
• Swirl into porridge or blitz into a smoothie to help set those blood sugar levels straight for the day
• Drizzle on pancakes – try with a dollop of Greek yoghurt, caramelised banana and cinnamon.
• Stir into satay sauce/curry, or any other Asian-inspired dishes.
Give your day a superfood boost with this simple coconut almond smoothie that’s packed full of protein, vitamins & Omega 3.
What you need:
500ml skimmed milk/almond milk
150ml natural yoghurt
3 tablespoons Pip & Nut Coconut Almond Butter
1 tablespoon flax seeds
2 teaspoons old fashioned oats
1 tablespoon honey
What to do:
Grind flaxseeds and oats into a fine powder using a pestle mortar. Add all the ingredients into a food processor until incorporated. Enjoy!